MOVarazzi

Sunday, April 1, 2012

728. Art Critic Starts With "A"

photo by MOV of Short's art

“Mommy,” he said, “I made this for you.”  He gave me a black paper tube, something precious confined in its spiral secrecy.  The curly ribbon tied tight around it brushed against my skin, like a delicate spider’s wispy legs. 

“Do you want me to open it now?” I asked, suspicious since it was only December 17th, “or do you want me to wait?” 

He squealed, “Now!  Open it now!” 
“Short, is it for Christmas?” I prompted, the textbook version of my proper mommy-self appearing when called for.  “Shouldn’t we wait?” 
His eyes filled with emotion, a mixture of sadness and betrayal, a betrayal of the Instant Gratification Gene that he had (undoubtedly) inherited from me.  Then, in a fit of drama, “If you don’t open it now, Mommy, I will die.” 

His words hung in the air, a semi-deflated yesterday balloon of sorrow floating nowhere.  
I was not expecting such theatrics rolled into a tube that was my only Christmas present (that I myself had not picked out and paid for) from my youngest son.  He will die??  What’s in that tube, a secret elixir to prevent certain death caused by lack of patience? 

His mood shifted mere seconds later.  He was, after all, a mercurial kindergartner.  “Or you can wait, Mommy!  Whatever you like!”  He skipped off in search of Pokémon cards, or the cat, or a stash of unbuilt Legos.  
I set the tube, red ribbon glistening like candy magic, under the prickly tree.

Christmas day arrived, and with it the promise of a special gift, a tube of happiness.  I opened the present, and was thrilled to see a handmade calendar.  Short attends a wonderful school where the teachers are constantly dreaming up elaborate projects (with their resulting byproducts to give to the parents).  This particular idea was absolutely brilliant:  the Virgo in me loved the practicality, while the mommy in me loved the sentimentality.           
“Did you draw this?” I asked with trepidation.  Better to confirm first than to lavish praise on art that had the remote chance of belonging to someone else.  Like what happened last week.    

“Yes!  It’s our family!  You, me, Pop, and Tall!  It’s us!”  His stretchy grin wrapped around his little round face. 
“I love it!” I hugged him and simultaneously marveled at how The Husband and I had somehow produced a second artistic progeny, akin to Picasso or Renoir.  “You and Tall are the very best artists in the whole world!” I exclaimed triumphantly.      

“Yes.  I know,” Short confirmed confidently.  He took the calendar out of my grasp for closer inspection.  “Oh, oh no,” he scrunched up his elastic face with all the seriousness of an appraiser being handed a blatant counterfeit piece that he is only now seeing for the very first time, “Pop does not look so good in this picture.” 
The Husband stifled a laugh.  Truth be told, it was quite a good likeness.  He had been accused in the past of having a large lumpy head. 

Short continued his thorough and professional assessment:  “Let’s see, his arms are good, his legs are good, his hair is good … but his head?  His head is kind of big on one side.  I didn’t draw his head very well.”  A dark, gloomy cloud descended upon Short. 
“Short,” I said, shifting into full-on cheerleader mode, “The drawing is fantastic!  I love it!  I am going to hang it up on the bulletin board in the kitchen right now!” 

And just like that, he was happy again.  As was I.  I inspected the lovely female family member he had so meticulously drawn—eyes as big and blue as swimming pools, hair scribbled with a crayon labeled “Sunshine,” lips like a robust Valentine, legs that could double for an anorexic flamingo, and to top it all off, a retro-inspired color-blocked dress—and I breathed a long, satisfied, sigh of relief:  at least one of us in the drawing was realistic-looking.    
photo by MOV of Short's art

MOV
(“Matisse Or VanGogh”)

23 comments:

  1. Sweetest post ever! Made me tear up lol... what a darling little boy you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the symmetry of the torso colors, red green, red green, red green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all look so happy and festive! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how The Husband's chest is sort of puffed out, like he's so very proud of his family. Or showing off for the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is puffing out his chest to distract from the lumpy head.

      Delete
  5. If my art teacher had that same mentality about my attempts I may have turned out better! Happy blogging for A-Z.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute :) I'll enjoy blogging with you through A-z!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look like a happy bunch. Glad the kids didn't inherit the lumpy head thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there, nice to meet to you! Hope to see you around in the A-Z

    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet, if I could go back in time I'd enjoy my children more than I did - and I enjoyed them as much as I thought I could.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so cute, and a great way to start the A to Z Challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet. I loved this post. I giggled at Pop's lumpy head. And now I FINALLY know what you look like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! If these are the types of memories that come with parenthood, then I can't wait :-) Such a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is cute about this picture is how big the dad is, and the boy (who I assume is the artist), compared to his brother and his mom. *smile*

    And I am here to welcome you to the Challenge!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize you were doing A-Z. Maybe I should get Short to draw some of my illustrations. He does better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the best with your writing! Keep it up!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks to all who wrote, and also welcome to my new readers who found me through the A to Z Challenge! It should be a fun month!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely precious! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this post...and anorexic flamingos! Seriously, funny & sweet. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. MOV, you are an incredibly good writer! I really enjoyed this! ":)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soooo sweet!! I kept all of my dd's art pages - and tease her now that she's older and is taking art classes...lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very sweet and an art critic. Wow!
    ~Naila Moon

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)